Happy New Year! Kicking off the decade with more butter, chocolate, and sparklers, of course. # 155: Cocoa Cinnamon Star Bread
You all ready for a new decade? Still trying to wrap my head around it. Here’s a list of 2020 goals I came up with while this loaf was baking:
- Minimize my single-use plastic usage – foil and glass are not only endlessly reusable, they’re also 100% recyclable when they break/rip
- Reduce food waste wherever possible – leftovers rock!
- Support female-identifying artists/authors of color by buying/reading their work
- Go from one vegetarian day a week to 2-3 per week
- Shopping local as much as possible instead of ordering from Amazon
- Finding more ways to give back! Such as volunteering my time when I don’t have money to donate
- Only buying used clothing so I don’t support the damaging fast fashion industry
Cheers to making a difference this year! Even in my own small way.
Anywho, back to baking! This delightful star bread has been on my list for a super long time and it was the perfect bake to round out the year. Fluffy challah dough and a sweet cocoa filling, dressed to the nines with glittery powdered sugar. The glitter cornstarch didn’t show up in pictures but it added a fun effect in person!
Honey, butter and eggs make this yeast dough rich and delicious. I think I’ve officially landed on my favorite challah recipe – same one I used for these cute little buns. It’s low-maintenance and consistent, providing the perfect base for fun flavors and fillings.
Captain Dough Hook, at your service.
*Best Professor Lockhart voice* It’s just like magic!
All poofy after it’s nap.
Oh hello there! Ready to roll.
I love using the inner wooden rolling pin for soft dough like challah. It gives you more control and it feels more hands-on!
Cocoa, cinnamon, sugar and butter. What more could a girl ask for?
Four layers later, here we are! Like a strange bread cake.
Use #1,749 for my 2.5 inch round cookie cutter. I used the pastry scraper to slice the 16 sections – it was tidier than my first attempt with a serrated bread knife.
Oo la la!
A twisty bread octopus, ready for some egg wash and trip to the sauna.
Don’t drool on your keyboard, it’s hard to clean.
Sparkle, sparkle everywhere.
All it needs is a glass of champagne. (Or a big mug of tea!)
Recipe combined from: https://www.completelydelicious.com/challah-revisted-as-challah-rolls/ & https://artisanbreadinfive.com/2018/11/22/holiday-star-bread/
2 thoughts on “Cocoa Cinnamon Star Bread”
Looks delicious!! Happy New Year to you!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thank you! Cheers to 2020!